Why you should get Upskilled with Train the Virtual Trainer
Are you pondering whether it is worth investing the time and effort to upskill to design or deliver virtual training? Should you ‘Go Pro’ and learn from a friendly expert provider or are you thinking of learning by yourself?
First let’s agree on what is virtual training (VILT)?
Virtual Instructor-Led Training (VILT) is also known as virtual training or virtual classroom. VILT replicates what happens in a face-to-face (F2F) workshop in a live online environment.
VILT workshops enable participants from across the world to join a learning session with their colleagues, led by you. They get to discuss issues, join breakout sessions, collaborate on whiteboards, poll, chat and more besides.
If you are interested to experience VILT before deciding on your training future contact us to join a demo session.
Why upskill to become a virtual trainer?
The Association of Talent & Development (ATD) reports that 65% of organisations are already using VILT with a further 22% planning on making the move soon. This means that if your organisation isn’t using VILT yet, they might well be in the near future.
So why are so many organisations incorporating VILT into their L&D offer?
- Travel is being reduced to address budget requirements and carbon usage.
- VILT is an inclusive way of learning – learning for all, no matter where you are based.
- Virtual learning suits the flexible way that employees are now working.
- E-learning is less viable as a replacement for F2F as it doesn’t include practice or sharing of experience.
If you want to build a case to convince your Exec to make the move to VILT you will find some helpful ideas here.
There are many compelling reasons for organisations to adopt Virtual Training (VILT). But what about the benefits to you as an L&D professional?
10 Reasons to Upskill to VILT
- Being VILT trained enables you to deliver blended programmes incorporating both F2F and VILT.
- Building your VILT skills also helps build your skills for other things like webinars, vlogs and podcasting.
- Make your training budget reach further as costs per head are reduced due to no travel, no hotels, no meeting rooms etc.
- Manage your work-life balance better as there is less travel if you are delivering more VILT. And, when you are finished, you can get on with life without a commute.
- It is inclusive and allows you to train your remotely based colleagues easily.
- VILT approaches bring colleagues together from multiple locations sharing different perspectives – great for collaboration and innovation.
- No clearing up the training room afterwards 😊.
- Feel carbon-zen as you will not need to fly, drive or get the train... nor will your learners!
- Future proofing your CV – VILT will continue to grow in usage so you will be future ready.
- It is AMAZING FUN - once you nail it!
Convinced? Great – and yet there is a challenge…
Even though many organisations are making the move to VILT, another ATD research report Virtual Classrooms Now: Using Technology to Reach Today's Workforces found that both trainers and designers can lack critical skills in virtual workshop delivery and this is a major barrier to learning effectiveness. They report that the top three training areas L&D professionals require upskilling in are:
- Engaging online audiences.
- Mastering the technologies that enable virtual classrooms.
- Using software or design tools that adapt content for virtual classrooms.
A client who we recently helped move to VILT stated
“Don’t think it is simple to make the move from F2F to VILT. Before our trainers were upskilled to run VILT, they found running virtual workshops draining and hard work”.
Learning by yourself to run the content, process, participants AND the technology can be challenging and frustrating. The same client reported that prior to upskilling on Virtual Training, their trainers had reverted to webinar-type approaches to avoid delivering interactively.
Now expertly coached in VILT, these same trainers are enjoying their interactive virtual workshops and are delivering more and more with great feedback from participants.
This is why you should consider going pro! Invest the time to get upskilled to really get confident in running the tech platform, designing content specifically for the VILT environment and delivering workshops that are super-interactive, engaging and boost learning transfer.
If you are serious about looking into ‘Going Pro’ with your upskilling, then look out for our next blog on what questions to ask when looking for a virtual train the trainer provider. Also, coming soon is our blog on how to convince your boss to invest in you getting upskilled with virtual train the trainer (VILT)!